I am a mathematician that finds in engineering the source of problems to solve or an engineer that uses mathematics to think about technical problems. My ambition is to pursue, in Academia, Industry, or both, this interplay between mathematics and engineering.
Some quotes I like
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.” Albert Einstein
“When solving a problem, try to avoid solving a more general (harder) problem as intermediate step.” Vladimir Vapnik
“You don’t really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.” Albert Einstein
“If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything very innovative.” Woody Allen.
“Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.” Henry Ford.
“Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple.” Charles Mingus.
“Mathematics is a war against inconsistency.” Robert Rosen.
“The proof of the pudding is in the eating.”
“A bad example may be better than a good theorem.” G. Ancoechea.
“There is nothing in the intellect that was not first in the senses.” Aristotle.
Short Bio (complete cv)
I received the Ph.D. in Mathematics and Ph.D. in Telecommunications Engineering from the University of Valladolid, Spain, in 2009 and 2011, respectively.
Since 2017 I have been Ramon y Cajal Researcher at the Basque Center for Applied Mathematics (BCAM). Prior to joining BCAM, I was a Staff Engineer at Qualcomm Corporate Research and Development from 2014 to 2017. I previously worked from 2009 to 2014 as Postdoctoral Fellow and Associate in the Wireless Information and Network Sciences Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). I am a frequent visitor of the Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems (LIDS) at the MIT, where I hold the Research Affiliate appointment. My general research interest is the application of mathematics to solve engineering problems, currently my work is primarily focused on statistical signal processing, machine learning, and data science.
I am Associate Editor for the IEEE COMMUNICATIONS LETTERS and served as Co-chair for the Symposiums on Wireless Communications at the 2014 IEEE Globecom and at the 2015 IEEE ICC. I have received the Best Doctorate Thesis Award from University of Valladolid in 2011, the Young Scientist Prize from the Union Radio-Scientifique Internationale (URSI) Symposium in 2007, and the Early Achievement Award from the IEEE ComSoc in 2018. My papers received the IEEE Communications Society Fred W. Ellersick Prize in 2012, and Best Paper Awards from the IEEE ICC in 2013, the IEEE ICUWB in 2011, and the IEEE Globecom in 2011.
Selected Publications (complete list)
- S. Mazuelas, A. Conti, J. C. Allen, and M. Z. Win, “Soft range information for network localization,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 66, no. 12, pp. 3155–3168, Jun. 2018.
- J. Prieto, S. Mazuelas, and M. Z. Win, “Context-aided inertial navigation via belief condensation,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 3250–3261, Jun. 2016.
- S. Mazuelas, Y. Shen, and M. Z. Win, “Belief condensation filtering,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 61, no. 18, pp. 4403-4415, Sep. 2013.
- F. Montorsi, S. Mazuelas, M. Z. Win, and G. M. Vitetta, “On the performance limits of map-aware localization,” IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 59, no. 8, pp. 5023-5038, Aug. 2013.
- Y. Shen, S. Mazuelas, and M. Z. Win, “Network navigation: Theory and interpretation,” IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., vol. 30, no. 9, pp. 1823-1834, Sep. 2012.
- J. Prieto, S. Mazuelas, A. Bahillo, P. Fernandez, R. M. Lorenzo, and E. J. Abril, “Adaptive data fusion for wireless localization in harsh environments,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 1585-1596, Apr. 2012.
- S. Mazuelas, Y. Shen, and M. Z. Win, “Information coupling in cooperative localization,” IEEE Commun. Lett., vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 737-739, Jul. 2011.
- M. Z. Win, A. Conti, S. Mazuelas, Y. Shen, W. M. Gifford, D. Dardari, and M. Chiani “Network localization and navigation via cooperation,” IEEE Commun. Mag., vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 56-62, May 2011. 2012 IEEE Communications Society Fred W. Ellersick Prize.
- S. Mazuelas, R. M. Lorenzo, A. Bahillo, P. Fernandez, J. Prieto, and E. J. Abril, “Topology assessment provided by weighted barycentric parameters in harsh environment wireless location systems,” IEEE Trans. Signal Process., vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 3842-3857, Jul. 2010.
- S. Mazuelas, A. Bahillo, R. M. Lorenzo, P. Fernandez, F. A. Lago, E. Garcia, J. Blas, and E. J Abril, “Robust indoor positioning provided by real-time RSSI values in unmodified WLAN networks,” IEEE J. Sel. Topics Signal Process., vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 821-831, Oct. 2009.
- S. Mazuelas, F. A. Lago, J. Blas, A. Bahillo, P. Fernandez, R. M. Lorenzo, and E. J. Abril, “Prior NLOS measurements correction for positioning in cellular wireless networks,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 58, no. 5, pp. 2585-2591, Jun. 2009.
- P. Zappi, A. Swaminathan, S. Mazuelas, and R. F. Quick, “Power delay profile based indoor outdoor detection,” Patent No. US 2016/0337978 Nov. 2016.
- S. Mazuelas, P. Tinnakornsrisuphap, and S. Chen, “Controlling a load and an energy source based on future energy level determinations,” PCT international application number 15/062,451. Mar. 2016
- S. Mazuelas, A. Swaminathan, P. Zappi, M.R. Akula, A. Bisain, A.N. Srivastava, and S.H. Sheshadri, “Auto-calibrating light sensor data of a mobile device,” PCT international application number 14/843,790. Sep. 2015
- A. Swaminathan, P. Zappi, S. Mazuelas, A. Bisain, S.H. Sheshadri, M.R. Akula, A.N. Srivastava, and S. Sadasivam, “Augmenting indoor-outdoor detection using side information,” PCT international application number 14/853,933. Sep. 2015.
- M. Z. Win, S. Mazuelas, and Y. Shen,“Tracking a body by nonlinear and non-Gaussian parametric filtering,” Publication number WO2012166757 A3, Application number PCT/US2012/039918, Feb. 2013.
- S. Mazuelas, R. M. Lorenzo, P. Fernandez, A. Bahillo, J. Blas, E. J. Abril, and J. Prieto, `Procedure and system of a mobile device localization from the propagation delay of signals in a wireless network mitigating the lack of line-of-sight between devices and without in-situ calibration.” Patent No. ES 2 372 512 B1 Mar. 2012.
- S. Mazuelas, R. M. Lorenzo, P. Fernandez, A. Bahillo, J. Blas and E. J. Abril “Procedure and system of localization in wireless networks that determines distances between devices from signal strength levels.” Patent No. ES 2 345 698 B2, Oct. 2011.